-
Re: Hello China
Swimmers exert more energy than basketballers. To scoff at swimming is kind of like football folks making fun of soccer players even though soccer is much harder.
It isn't about swimming. It is about dominating a sport on a level that is unprecedented. Can your 300lb uncle even swim 800 meters?
-
Re: Hello China
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Indian_Dad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To scoff at swimming is kind of like football folks making fun of soccer players even though soccer is much harder.
</div></div>
Looks like we have a winner.
-
Re: Hello China
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Diets17</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
"do some home work about how much athletic ability swimming requires"
Dumb quote of the year right there. Who can't [censored] swim? My 300 pound uncle can swim like a fish. Like I said Phelps is the greatest swimmer of all time, one of the most dominating athletes at their respective sports. Yes absolutely, but greatest athlete ever? Seriously, stop and think about this for a second. I'm begging you allllll. </div></div>
i can play golf too........does that mean that simply because i can do it that what tiger woods can do isnt special?
i can ride a bike.......so im guessing that means what lance armstrong has done means nothing either, because anybody can do it right?
let me guess........you are one of the clowns who thinks neckcar is a "sport" despite the fact that the car is the actual "athlete" and we all drive to work everyday........so i guess we all competed in a "sport" right?
seriously........phelps deserves mention with tiger.....armstrong, federer, and carl lewis as the greatest and most dominant athletes of all time
-
Re: Hello China
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Indian_Dad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Costas made a solid point as well. Phelps swam in 4 different styles of swimming-freestyle,butterfly,breaststroke,and back,and he mastered them all. You have to be a special kind of athlete to do that. As far as slighting swimmers as athletes? I have played many a fullcourt basketball game,and swam many a lap in the pool,and I can attest to the fact that swimming took a heckuva lot more out of me than basketball. </div></div>
no question
no only is he dominant but hes versatile
-
Re: Hello China
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Indian_Dad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can your 300lb uncle even swim 800 meters?</div></div>
he probably can but it may take him 3 1/2 hours
but hey no big deal......he can do it......isnt that all that counts?
-
Re: Hello China
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Diets17</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
"do some home work about how much athletic ability swimming requires"
Dumb quote of the year right there. Who can't [censored] swim? My 300 pound uncle can swim like a fish. Like I said Phelps is the greatest swimmer of all time, one of the most dominating athletes at their respective sports. Yes absolutely, but greatest athlete ever? Seriously, stop and think about this for a second. I'm begging you allllll. </div></div>
This is getting frustrating. No disrespect to swimming or Phelps at all..but....I'm done with this topic...like I said..I can't debate with those who don't read or just ignore things I say..and then just try to spin the debate a different way.
-
Re: Hello China
Phelps is one of the greatest of all-time because of his versatility.
A lot of athletes can accomplish great things in team sports, but they play only one position, and have decades of experience at that position. Phelps essentially beat everyone at every position in his sport.
-
Re: Hello China
I have to also give props to Dara Torres as well. The gal is 41 and nabbed yet another medal (silver). The other 2 on the podium COMBINED equalled her age, then in the relay,she actually outswam the world champ Libby Trickett,but had too much gap to close going in. 3 words: YOU GO GIRL! She is kinda forgotten because of Phelps,but these are big time accomplishments for someone that physically with her age shouldn't be able to be within half a lap of the young guns. This is a testament to hard work and determination. Much props
The U.S. team of Natalie Coughlin, Rebecca Soni, Christine Magnuson and Dara Torres earned the silver in 3:53.30. Minutes earlier, Torres, a 41-year-old mother swimming in her fifth Olympics, had finished second in the 50 free.
-
Re: Hello China
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Diets17</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Diets17</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
"do some home work about how much athletic ability swimming requires"
Dumb quote of the year right there. Who can't [censored] swim? My 300 pound uncle can swim like a fish. Like I said Phelps is the greatest swimmer of all time, one of the most dominating athletes at their respective sports. Yes absolutely, but greatest athlete ever? Seriously, stop and think about this for a second. I'm begging you allllll. </div></div>
This is getting frustrating. No disrespect to swimming or Phelps at all..but....I'm done with this topic...like I said..I can't debate with those who don't read or just ignore things I say..and then just try to spin the debate a different way.</div></div>
spin the debate?
dude seriously?
all you have done is try and trivialize the sport of swimming and the ability it takes and havent offered up anything to show what you think is tougher
-
Re: Hello China
you also claim swimming isnt a sport because your 300lb uncle can swim
im willing to bet at some point in your life you played a sport
because you could play baseball at age 8.......does that mean manny ramirez isnt anything special?
you play basketball in HS.......so i guess jordan wasnt anything special either because you can play basketball?
lets talk pop warner football.......you played pee wees at age 10.....and were a RB......i guess that means that barry sanders wasnt anything special either, right?
think about how idiotic your argument is.......your 300 lb uncle can swim, so what phelps did isnt impressive
gotcha chief.......makes no sense.......but i got it